Saturday, October 17, 2009

In which its my Birthday.


Yep, its my birthday. The Wife let me stay in bed until about 11:00am which was nice since I didn't get into bed until about 4. The Boy slept through the night and was back to his old self today. I think the worst is over and we can stop being so worried about heading back to the hospital. I took a quick shower and then since we had a nurse Karin took me out for lunch for my birthday.



We swung by the library on our way home from the restaurant so that I could pick up the books I had requested be transferred to my local branch. I only needed to pick up one though because Karin had gotten the other one for me for my birthday.
I have only read American Gods by Neil Gaiman but I absolutely loved it. I have been reading his blog for a little while and have wanted to read the Sandman series for years but just never got around to it. Well, Karin got me the first volume of the complete Sandman books so I started that today. The other book I got was The Graveyard Book. I tend to get "stuck" on authors where I need to read everything I can by them. This has happened with Vonnegut, Heller, Mailer, and Chabon. Now its happening with Gaiman. Karin took a nap when we got home and since the nurse was staying for a few more hours I grabbed a cup of coffee and read the first half of The Graveyard Book. I have been reading about this book on his blog for so long that I feared it would never be able to live up to my expectations. It turns out there was nothing to fear at all. I don't read much YA fiction but am finding this book very entertaining and an overall fun read. I know that the material may be a bit dark for him but since its only about tone of voice for him I think I may start reading it to Liam tomorrow. I have a wonderful time reading books aloud to Liam as I try and come up with new voices for each character. I can already hear my versions of both Bod and Silas.



My Parents and Nan came over with dinner in the evening and we had birthday cake and they all visited with Liam. His illness prevented them from holding all week so they are chomping at the bit to get their hands on him. My mom got me a pizza stone as a gift and so the plan is to make dough in the morning and try my hand at some homemade pizza. Before he passed a few years ago my grandfather would make pizza from scratch every weekend and the whole family would come over on Sunday afternoons to eat and watch whatever sporting event was in season. His older brother owned a pizzeria when he was a kid and it became a true family tradition that has been sorely missed. I don't presume to think that I will be able to relive those days but I think having family around is very important for Liam and so I can at least try.



Liam's 8:00pm meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment